When you begin a new lifestyle, try to form a new habit, or start a weight loss plan you envision the future and a how happy and healthy you’ll be! You visualize! When I decided to make the switch to a plant-based diet, I must be honest, I was just as attracted to the hippie lifestyle that might accompany it as well as the perceived health benefits. I don’t think I ever thought that even within 30 days of making the switch I’d feel as good as I do right now. My decision began with a conviction, not a lose weight fast strategy or pure curiosity. Like most vegans, my decision came from a research on modern agriculture and its impact on the world, as well as research on possible health concerns accompanied with consuming animal products. I wanted something better for myself and my family, a lifestyle as close to the earth as possible. Typically, by the one month marker on any diet plan I’d be eager and ready for a breather. But going plant-based has actually been totally freeing for me. That’s what I would name my number one unexpected benefit.
- Food Freedom. I know it sounds ridiculous, I mean look at all the foods I’ve “restricted” from my diet! I believe it all comes down to attitude. Veganism is an attitude, not a diet plan. That’s what makes this life change stand out for me. I’ve made many decisions to become healthier, and even tried many trending diet plans, but going plant-based has been long in coming for me personally, and I finally made the leap. I thought what better time to try it out than summer time when farmer’s markets are bursting with affordable produce!
- Faster Kitchen Clean-up! Who doesn’t want the dish washing to go faster?! Sign me up! This was a total surprise when I switched to a vegan lifestyle. All of a sudden my cleanup time was cut in half. I attribute this to not having to scrub my pans from cooking meats, eggs, and sticky cheeses. Working with mostly fresh raw food and lightly cooked plants and very little oil, cleanup is suddenly a breeze! No complaining here!
- It’s like a beauty treatment! You heard it here, folks. Being a vegan makes me feel like I’ve just left the spa. Lovely skin (even with a baby who won’t let me get a full night’s sleep!), stronger nails that grow faster than ever before, and my husband was the first to point out that even with my total lack of sleep as a mother of babes, the deep dark circles under my eyes are GONE. Last year I would have told you that was the number one thing I would change about my appearance if I could. Well…. done!!
- Better Little Eaters! My little preschooler has a much improved palette and his digestive system has vastly improved. My little J had a perpetual belly bloat and sometimes wouldn’t have a bowel movement for three to four days! At that point, when it came time to defecate the screaming was intense. Poor dear. I literally would have to make him angry and then he’d get it out. My brave little one. Now in hindsight I feel so sad I didn’t pull dairy from his diet earlier!! What a difference.
- I can still RUN! And I can even run faster! I am still training for my second half marathon distance, lifting, and feeling a good momentum. Seven months after the birth of my second child and switching to a plant based vegan diet I have run my second fastest 5k ever. But Don’t underestimate the detox period, however, and plan for it. I forgot to assume it would happen and spent the first ten days of my plant based diet completely exhausted and weak from detoxing. One night I even slept 12 hours! See my post about my first ten days vegan! After this it was an immediate upswing and I’ve felt better than “normal” since!
Do you follow a plant based diet? What are your favorite benefits?